The University grew out of a College that was 'The College of Engineering, Vizagpatnam' as was named at the time of its establishment in 1946 by the then Government of the composite Madras State is situated in a sprawling campus of 110 acres filled with mango trees in a fast developing Port city of Kakinada on the east coast of peninsula India and situated in a zone which through generations, contributed significantly to the political literacy and cultural heritage of the country. This college became a constituent of the Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University w.e.f 02-10-1972 through an act of legislature along with other sister institutions under the control of the then Director of Technical Education, Government of Andhra Pradesh. Earlier, it was affiliated to Andhra University. In the year 2003 the college has become autonomous.
The College is governed by the rules and guidelines provided by the university from time to time. The Principal is the administrative and the academic Head of the College. He is assisted by the Vice-Principal and the College Academic Committee in academic matters and the Deputy Registrar and the office staff in administrative matters. The day-to-day activities of the college are carried out by budgetary allocation from the University fund.