||Women’s College, Calcutta, was founded on July 2nd 1937, by a group of devoted scholars under the guidance of Dr. D. L. De, M.A. Ph.D. (London), founder principal of the college, with a view to advancing the cause of higher education of women, particularly of the state, consistent with Indian culture and tradition. The first Advisory Board consisted of eminent personalities from all walks of life like Sir Manmathanath Roy Chowdhury, Maharaja of Santosh, Sir A.H. Ghuznavi, Mr. Durgaprasad Khaitan, Attorney at law, Mr. S.M. Chowdhury, Zeminder of Sherpur, Mr. K. K. Bhattacharjee, Reader, University of Allahabad, Mr. K.C. Chatterjee, Chartered Engineer, Mr. A.C. Gupta, Advocate, Mr. S. N. Mitra, Chartered Accountant, Mr. S. K. Basu, Ex-Mayor, Calcutta Corporation, Sir U. N. Brahmachari, M.A., M.D. Ph.D., inventor of preventive medicines for Kala-azar. The list is unending.